Edcon Limited ("Edcon")
Trading as Edgars
Date last amended September 2016
• the kinds of personal information we collect and hold;
• how we collect and hold it;
• the purposes for which we collect, hold, use and disclose it;
• your right to access and seek correction of it;
• how you may complain about privacy matters; and
• our sharing of your personal information with third parties and cross border.
2. If you have any questions concerning your personal information, please contact us at [email protected].
3. Personal information refers to all information about you as an identifiable individual, including your name, address, email address, telephone number, and identity number.
4. Collection and processing of Personal information
4.1. Edcon limited only collects and processes personal information that is reasonably necessary for its business functions and activities which include but are not limited to the following instances:
• making an online purchase
• opening an account
• become a member of one of our clubs or ThankU loyalty programs or to send you information;
• taking part in our promotions, competitions, and surveys (if applicable)
4.3.In order to register for certain services or to enter competitions or promotions offered through our website from time to time Edcon may also collect relevant personal information. Edcon will use such information to provide the services to you. Edcon may also use such information for its own internal purposes including –
• establishing and verifying your identity;
• maintaining and updating our customer databases; and
• marketing, product research and development purposes.
5. Storage of personal information
5.1. Edcon uses all reasonable endeavours to put in place and maintain electronic procedures and systems to ensure accuracy and to eliminate risks of unauthorised access to, and loss, misuse or wrongful alteration of, personal information with reference to accepted technological standards.
5.2. The Edgars web site uses an industry standard 128 bit Thawte Server CA certificate to implement Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption to encrypt transmission of sensitive information between your browser and our web server. SSL security is among the best approaches available today for secure commerce transactions. Our security encrypts all of your personal information so that it cannot be read as the information travels over the Internet.
6. Personal information shared
6.1 Edcon will not sell, rent or otherwise disclose your personal information to any third party without your consent, provided that by using our website and/or subscribing for any of our services, you provide your express and informed consent for Edcon to disclose your personal information to third parties as follows -
6.1.1 to third party companies employed by Edcon to provide services for us, including for example, website hosting and development. These companies require access to your personal information to perform their functions and not for any other purposes ;
6.1.2 to transfer Edcon's customer database/s, including personal information contained therein, to any third party who acquires all or substantially all of the assets or shares in our company or our website service whether by sale, merger, acquisition or otherwise;
6.1.3 to governmental agencies, exchanges and other regulatory or self-regulatory organisations if Edcon is required to do so by law or if we believe that such action is necessary to -
18.104.22.168 comply with the law or with any legal process;
22.214.171.124 protect and defend our rights and property or that of our customers and companies in our group;
126.96.36.199 prevent fraud or abuse, misuse or unauthorised use of our website; and/or
188.8.131.52 protect the personal safety or property of our customers or the public (if you provide false or deceptive information about yourself or misrepresent yourself as being someone else, Edcon will disclose such information to the appropriate regulatory bodies and commercial entities).
6.2 Edcon reserves the right to share non-personal, non-individual information in aggregate form with third parties for business purposes, for example with advertisers on our website or business associates and partners. This does not involve disclosing any personal information which can identify any individual consumer in any way.
8. Accuracy of Information
It is important that the information we have about you is accurate and up to date. If your personally identifiable information changes you may correct or update it online. We cannot be liable for any information that is inaccurate and/or obsolete.
9. Communicating with us
10. Access to your personal information
Edcon will provide you with access to any of your personal information it holds (except in limited circumstances recognised by law). If you wish to access your personal information or have an enquiry about privacy, please contact our Privacy Officer at:[email protected] Edcon provides you with access to your personal information proof of identity will be requires. Edcon may in addition, charge a reasonable fee for giving access to your personal information if your request requires substantial effort on our part.
11. Communicating with you / Opting Out
If you are an existing customer, we provide you the opportunity to ‘opt-out’ of having your personally identifiable information used for certain purposes, when we ask for this information.
If you no longer wish to receive our newsletter and promotional communications, you may opt-out of receiving them by:
• following the instructions included in each newsletter or communication
• updating your registered profile preferences
We reserve the right to modify this policy at any time, so please review it frequently. If we decide to change our privacy & security policy, we will post changes to this page. If we make material changes to this policy, we will notify you here, by email, or by means of a notice on our home page. The amended privacy & security policy will supersede and replace any previous policies with effect from the date on which it is posted on our website.